Greetings all!

musikfan6

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Lititz, PA
Hello. I just joined the forum this morning. I'm a complete novice to BYC, but I joined because I am currently anticipating having my own chickens this spring. I am looking forward to being a part of the forum and gathering lots of valuable information from all of you experienced chicken keepers! I look forward to getting to know many of you.

We live in Lititz, PA which is part of Lancaster County, the heart of "Pennsylvania Dutch" farming country here in PA. We rent a small farmette with about 2.5 acres. I am a Spanish teacher and also a musician. There are six in our family - my wife and four children and myself. We home-school our children (the oldest just graduated last year) and we are doing as much as possible to become self-sustaining, hence our pursuit of free range chickens. Our youngest children are looking forward to helping take care of the chickens once we get them.

For now, I am VERY excited to do this and can't wait to get my peeps in the spring! I'm currently designing and getting ready to build nesting boxes and a roost. We plan to start with 5 chickens and see how it goes from there ( I have a ton to learn, so who knows what is going to happen!). We are looking forward to fresh eggs once the little ladies start laying (we are not planning on having any roosters because we have a number of nearby neighbors whom I do not think will appreciate having a rooster waking them up!).

I'm sure I'll be posting questions as we move along on this journey.

Good day to you all!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom