Greetings from Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gayegel, Sep 15, 2009.

1. gayegel

gayegel New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    Found this site on Google. Guess chickens are the same whether they are american, english or ozzies [​IMG]
    We are just now coming into spring here in Oz although with all the rain and wind we've been having it feels more like winter still. Last night the weather forcast said it has been the wettest winter in 93years, I hope it's another 93 before the next one [​IMG] although we badly need the rain.
    I live in the glorious south west of Western Australia and it is lush and green with spring flowers popping up everwhere.

We have an acre of land and 8 isla browns and 6 silky bantams of which 4 are roosters. Haven't been able to cut the roosters wings to dispatch them as they just fly over the fence when we try and catch them. Any idea's on how to trap them please?[​IMG]

My main reason for being on this site is to find out why the chickens have recently taken to using the laying boxes for the toilet. They are just starting to lay eggs again after a layoff of about 2 months. We keep cleaning it out and putting fresh straw in the boxes and also their house. Do you think that when they are back in full laying mode this may stop.?

I also have a confession to make: I don't like chickens.
    Now before you all go bananas let me explain.
    They are really for my hubby and granddaughter although I do like their by products.
    For some reason they scare me. They have little blinking eyes that seen to be saying "lets peck her toes" and they have at least a few times. They follow me and get under my feet and I'm scared they'll attack me if I accidently step on one.
    BUT I am a very kind person and look after them well when my hubby is at work, feeding and watering and raking their yard.
    Now I have that off my chest I feel better.[​IMG]
    Do hope someone can answer my questions. Cheers

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington State.

Glad you joined even if you don't like chickens. [​IMG]

I had that same thought today when mine were loudly whining for treats. Thought I shouldn't always give in, I'm training them to be noisy.

So I gave them the garden hose instead. [​IMG]

Imp- it worked

3. luvinmynewchicks

luvinmynewchicks New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Indiana![​IMG]

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome To Byc!!!!

5. gayegel

gayegel New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome. Should I post my questions on a different page or will they been seen here?
    Cheers Gayegel

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!
    I just love the way you describe your chickens! [​IMG] I guess they do kind of look that way, but I, for one, do love my girls! [​IMG] Now, about them using their nest box for the bathroom, I've heard others on this forum complain about the same thing. Maybe try posting under the chicken behaviors and egg laying section in the index, at the top of the page. I believe you will find more answers there. Best of luck to you, and I hope you learn to love your chickens eventually. [​IMG]

7. coopgirl

coopgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Jesup, GA
    Welcome from Southeast Georgia! [​IMG]

8. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Welcome If nest boxes are higher then roost,chickens will sleep in them and poop there

9. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    [​IMG]

10. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Welcome to BYC from Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by