Greetings from Australia

gayegel

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 15, 2009
Hi everyone,
Found this site on Google. Guess chickens are the same whether they are american, english or ozzies
lol.png

We are just now coming into spring here in Oz although with all the rain and wind we've been having it feels more like winter still. Last night the weather forcast said it has been the wettest winter in 93years, I hope it's another 93 before the next one
lol.png
although we badly need the rain.
I live in the glorious south west of Western Australia and it is lush and green with spring flowers popping up everwhere.

We have an acre of land and 8 isla browns and 6 silky bantams of which 4 are roosters. Haven't been able to cut the roosters wings to dispatch them as they just fly over the fence when we try and catch them. Any idea's on how to trap them please?
roll.png

My main reason for being on this site is to find out why the chickens have recently taken to using the laying boxes for the toilet. They are just starting to lay eggs again after a layoff of about 2 months. We keep cleaning it out and putting fresh straw in the boxes and also their house. Do you think that when they are back in full laying mode this may stop.?

I also have a confession to make: I don't like chickens.
Now before you all go bananas let me explain.
They are really for my hubby and granddaughter although I do like their by products.
For some reason they scare me. They have little blinking eyes that seen to be saying "lets peck her toes" and they have at least a few times. They follow me and get under my feet and I'm scared they'll attack me if I accidently step on one.
BUT I am a very kind person and look after them well when my hubby is at work, feeding and watering and raking their yard.
Now I have that off my chest I feel better.
lol.png

Do hope someone can answer my questions. Cheers

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington State.

Glad you joined even if you don't like chickens.
lau.gif

I had that same thought today when mine were loudly whining for treats. Thought I shouldn't always give in, I'm training them to be noisy.

So I gave them the garden hose instead.
roll.png

Imp- it worked

Thanks for the welcome. Should I post my questions on a different page or will they been seen here?
Cheers Gayegel

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!
I just love the way you describe your chickens!
lau.gif
I guess they do kind of look that way, but I, for one, do love my girls!
smile.png
Now, about them using their nest box for the bathroom, I've heard others on this forum complain about the same thing. Maybe try posting under the chicken behaviors and egg laying section in the index, at the top of the page. I believe you will find more answers there. Best of luck to you, and I hope you learn to love your chickens eventually.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom