Greetings from Bakersfield

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrsemma, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mrsemma

mrsemma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hello!
    My husband and I are first time chicken owner here. Since we actually live outside of city limits we can have up to 12 chickens. Those who live in city limits are severally limited on who can have chickens. We won’t have any roos so hopefully our neighbors won’t hate us. [​IMG]
    Our girls are now 3 weeks old!! We got 2 Black Australorps (Nemo & Dory) and 2 RIRs (Lucy & Ethel) and 2 Welsummers (Thumper & Flower). We also have a Rottador named Raven aka Big Baby a Red German Shepard named Ilsa, and an annoying cat named Gabby.
    Who knew that designing and building a coop was so much work?? Certainly not I. We are building a 8’x12’ run that will be 6’6” tall with a 4’x8’ coop attached. We are learning by jumping in the deep end for sure!! Thank goodness for previous postings on how big should the chicken door be, how wide to make the ramp, how many rungs per foot, how big to make the nesting boxes, how to build a door, and more simply, HOW to build the base and the run walls in the first place???? And it needs to be way more heat hardy than cold hardy.
    In case you didn’t notice, neither one of us are real experts at construction projects, so between reading about so many of your coops, and the many coops you can read about for free online and the 4 library books I picked up last week, we are drawing and discussing and re-drawing and re-discussing our plans which are finally taking shape.
    Hope all is well for you, if you have any words of advice, please feel free to share. We are enjoying our new venture!!
    Gerry and Emma

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I am no DIYer all is know is Measure twice, cut once!! Sincerely glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, coop building is no easy task! It doesn't have to look pretty, as long as it is predator proof, keeps them dry, and large enough for your birds. Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of articles on how much space chickens need and even our coops pages. Lots of good ideas from our members within our coop section...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Good luck all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello and[​IMG],your flock sounds awesome,glad you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by