Greetings from beautiful, windy, dusty North Central Washington!

fosterson

Songster
9 Years
Oct 16, 2013
Omak Flats, Okanogan County, WA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I was raised around chickens but didn't get my own flock until about a month ago. A friend's aunt needs to move and couldn't take her flock of older layers. I had an old (and now cleaned up) coop on my property, so we built a run and moved the girls right in!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Six, but I suspect that's about to change.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Two Red Sussex, Three Rhode Island Reds, and One (assumed) Red Star or other RIR hybrid.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I stumbled on it some time go when we were considering getting hens when we still lived in the Seattle area, but as we had no room and no chickens, I never thought to join.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I clean, card, spin, and dye yarn, and then crochet, knit, or weave with it! I just got a knitting machine and can't figure the blame thing out. I also do pysanky eggs (which is why I thought about getting hens in the first place) and calaveras (Day of the Dead skulls). I also study animal genetics as a 'armchair' hobby, and reading about the complexity of fowl genetics has me tickled pink!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I've been with my other half (David) for 16 years. We have three cats (two 13 year old black barn cat sisters and one 1.5 year old fuzzy yellow tom) and a 10 week old Chihuahua puppy named Benny. We've had Rottweilers up until this point, and everyone who knows us think we've lost our ever-loving minds! I'm a funeral director by education, but I'm still in my apprentice phase and looking for a new job as the firm I was working for closed down -- if anyone has any leads for NCW I'd be greatly appreciative! ;)

welcome-byc.gif

ya.gif
Hi From Jacksonville. My grandparents used to live in Spokane. I love that you spin your own yarn. I am a knitter so I love fibers as much as I love my chickens. I am very glad you joined us and I look forward to reading more posts in the future.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom