1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Greetings from Cecilia Buttercup!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cecilia Buttercup, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Cecilia Buttercup

Cecilia Buttercup Hatching

Sep 15, 2009
    I've started raising chickens 4 years ago when my 2nd grader hatched out chicks in the classroom. I had always wanted to try raising chickens, so my husband and I built--OK, well mostly my husband--built a chicken mobile home and an 8 ft. run. We ended up with 8 of those white Leghorns from the classroom. Great layers, but I really didn't care for their "chicken-ality". So the next year we had lots of chicken soup and ordered Sicilian Buttercups through the mail. I named my favorite hen "Cecilia" for obvious reasons and also because I am a singer and St. Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians. My rooster, Dasher, just died this weekend of unknown causes, but he had a FABULOUS crow. His cock-a-doodle had a very long doooooooooooooooo at the end. Since Buttercups don't lay all that well, I experimented with Welsummers (didn't lay well and were too boring) and Austrolorps. They are showing promise as layers, but sure have tame chickenalities. At the present we have 3 Buttercup hens, 2 Welsummer hens, an Austrolorp cockerel and 8 Austrolorp pullets. We remodeled the kids' playhouse since they never used it, and house most of our chickens there.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Welcome Cecilia from Indiana!! [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. Now the playhouse is finally used again....[​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

5. mschickychick

mschickychick Songster

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Welcome to BYC. We're glad you're here.

6. skywatcher

skywatcher Songster

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    [​IMG] Put the coffee pot on & show me a picture of those butter cups you have some breeds I've not raised enjoy hearing about your flock.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by