Greetings from Cecilia Buttercup!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cecilia Buttercup, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Cecilia Buttercup

Cecilia Buttercup New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    I've started raising chickens 4 years ago when my 2nd grader hatched out chicks in the classroom. I had always wanted to try raising chickens, so my husband and I built--OK, well mostly my husband--built a chicken mobile home and an 8 ft. run. We ended up with 8 of those white Leghorns from the classroom. Great layers, but I really didn't care for their "chicken-ality". So the next year we had lots of chicken soup and ordered Sicilian Buttercups through the mail. I named my favorite hen "Cecilia" for obvious reasons and also because I am a singer and St. Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians. My rooster, Dasher, just died this weekend of unknown causes, but he had a FABULOUS crow. His cock-a-doodle had a very long doooooooooooooooo at the end. Since Buttercups don't lay all that well, I experimented with Welsummers (didn't lay well and were too boring) and Austrolorps. They are showing promise as layers, but sure have tame chickenalities. At the present we have 3 Buttercup hens, 2 Welsummer hens, an Austrolorp cockerel and 8 Austrolorp pullets. We remodeled the kids' playhouse since they never used it, and house most of our chickens there.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Welcome Cecilia from Indiana!! [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. Now the playhouse is finally used again....[​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

5. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Welcome to BYC. We're glad you're here.

6. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    [​IMG] Put the coffee pot on & show me a picture of those butter cups you have some breeds I've not raised enjoy hearing about your flock.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by