Greetings from Georgia

FourPsInAPodFarm

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Fayetteville, GA
Found this board by way of Beemaster.

Long story short, my wife and I moved back to the area, and house / land, that I grew up on with the intention of running a farm. My family has been farming this land that we live on for 7 generations (apart from my parents generation at least).

Needless to say we've had our work cut out for us this year getting old fields back into growing condition, starting beekeeping and then trying to find this last bit of equipment so that we can start growing our cash crop, buckwheat.

So we started this year with the bee hives and are working on getting goats and chickens now too. Listed the goats firstly because they will need to clear out the field that we are going to have the chickens in as well.

Our goal is free range of course. Don't think we'll have enough funds to get the entire field fenced in with chicken wire for the chickens sake (it's just fenced in with your standard live stock fence 5ft high). So I'm working on sectioning off a smaller area that we can enclose and then learning up on what their needs are and looking at the coop designs you have on the site!

Well trying not to write a book here so will leave it with that.

Joel
Four P's In A Pod Farm

HI!
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
Nice to meet you! You'll learn alot from this site. It's amazing how many coop designs there are and home made feeders and waterers. Got a questiion, just ask, there are alot of knowledgable people here.

Last edited:
Hello....How wonderful to be on family land.

We're over here in Bowdon ga. Please come visit when you can. We have been here 3 years. Have a chemical free garden, sell at the local farmers market and from home.

It's just the 2 of us. We have bees, milk goats, and chick chickens, turkeys, guineas, etc. I make cheese, yogurt, kefir, etc.

We're homesteading/farming on 20 acres but about half are woods.

I'm loving it but I know it is more labor intensive than I would ever imagine. I just recently took early retirement and I have to laff and say I "re - tired" my self...HEHE.

We have about 20 ladies that we are selling (chickens that is) & roosters & young barred that I'd be glad to make a great deal on to a fellow farmer. I've posted them on craigstlist. See my ad at
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/840818706.html

Enjoy your country life...How happy I am for you.

Welcome to BYC- Glad your getting back into working with the land and earth. Nothing is more exhausting then knowing you put in a hard days work- its the natural "Ambien".

Back
Top Bottom