Greetings from Georgia

ladyI

Hatching
May 1, 2015
Hi there! I keep a small mixed flock of 6 hens and a rooster. I have 2 game hens, 3 reds, and a hen + the roo that are silkie mutts lol! I am actually joining because i am in the midst of an egg problem! Let me note that one red hen is newer to the flock and i am not sure if shes the one having the issues but I also have a hen that the neighbors dog munched on and i nursed back to health.. however she had to go through antibiotics and it was a major trauma.. so i suspect her also. Then again the game hens and the silkie just started laying for the first time (with me) but i guess because of the egg size that its not them...I am getting lumpy eggs and tonight i discovered an egg with a thin membranous shell that had busted. Let me note that they have wonderful feed and oyster shell available also. they free range most days and stay in the coop at night. I really don't know what else to do nutritionally or otherwise! Help!

It also takes a while for a new layer to work the kinks out of her system. I'm not all together sure which hens you are talking about. You may find answers in the "chicken behaviors and egg laying "threads of the Raising Backyard Chickens" forum. above. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! New layers and moving homes can certainly affect the laying and may produce some rather odd eggs untill everything is in full working order. Here is an article all about egg problems https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems It's a good read with lots of information. I hope when everyone is settled and got it all in order you have lots of wonderful eggs.

Good luck with your flock and I hope you enjoy BYC, I'm sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

x2 on the article @Yorkshire coop gave you the link to...it's helped me out a couple of times so you may find your answer there.

Nice to have you join us and if you have further questions, feel free to post.

frow.gif
Don't worry. New layers make strange eggs for the first few weeks.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from Middle Georgia.

Hopefully this is just a stress issue and will solve itself. But I would take drumstick diva's advice and post your problem and photos under the egg laying/behavior forum to get more opines.

Awesome thanks guys! Well i don't think my girls should be stressed out.. everyone seems to get along really well and nothing has happened to the flock in months as far as any changes go. I am hoping it is the little red hen since she seems young and possibly is working her new laying kinks out! She came from animal control so i dont know anything about her history other than shes a sweet little hen, and on the small side for a red! Thanks for having me here, i should have joined sooner :) ill re-post soon in the other thread. PS having chickens is pretty darn fun <3

Back
Top Bottom