Greetings from Maine!

Mainely Hens

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2022
Maine's Western Mountains
Hi, all! I'm a long time lurker and thought it was finally time to make an account. šŸ˜¬

I'm Karissa, originally from rural NJ, then the PNW, and now the western Maine mountain region. My husband and I have been dreaming of starting a small homestead for years and, now that we own our first house and have some land, the dream is finally becoming reality. I had chickens growing up but this is the first time I've had my own flock. It is SO exciting!

Currently, I have 17 chicks that are about 5 weeks old, all from McMurray hatchery. A few each of Ameracaunas, Australorps, barred rocks, buff Orpingtons, cuckoo Marans, Whiting true greens and pearl white leghorns along with a baby Bielefelder rooster and a surprise chick (which *may* be a cream legbar cockerel...I'll have to post for ID help). I wanted a decent size flock to be able to sell/give away eggs, along with our own egg consumption. I also wanted a "rainbow" laying flock because, hey, it's fun and pretty. šŸ¤© It's been so fun watching them grow, seeing their coloring change, and getting to know their little personalities. They're all friendly and curious but two of the bunch--a WTG and a leghorn--are downright sweet. They come right over and seem to enjoy being held. I absolutely love all of them.

Thanks, fellow chicken enthusiasts, for sharing your knowledge--it's been incredibly helpful and inspiring! Looking forward to learning more.

Back
Top Bottom