Greetings from the Big Apple!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by magsrags, Nov 6, 2008.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I'd like to introduce myself. I am Maggie from NYC ..Staten Island.
    I actually got into rasing my urban chicks just this past June. I was gifted with 4, 1 week old peeps... by my brother who had just had a mixed bantam hatch from McMurry's. Hubby delivered them to me on my Birthday. I was shocked because being an animal freak it is like pulling teeth to get more little babies in here than I already have. 1 Parrot, 2 dogs, 3 fish.
    I haven't stopped learning about my chicks since. I am truly addicted!
    Needless to say, I am currently at maybe 28 of all ages and having a ball incubating all my own eggs. I am concentrating on raising Silkies only now. I do have one, white crested Black Polish who is my mascot. His/her name is Dinner and he thinks he is a dog. He/she is now 6 months old and no crowing yet so I am hopefull it's a she.
    Few folks around here can believe I am doing this. I get lots of amused stares. bUT....they all want to come see my little flock! And then they always ask me how they are doing and if I got more. [​IMG] Hens are legal, roos are not in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Just need to be considerate of the neighbors and keep things really clean.
    Now I have since hatched 24 silkies and showgirls aged 3 months to 3 weeks) to watch/see who is what. Fun! Husband is thinking I am crazy..........but he keeps helping me build my pens so it isn't too bad. Hopefully eggs will be coming this spring .
    I am learning tons of info here and am so glad to have found this forum. I've already taken many tips and used them. I do not know another soul here on S.I. with chickens so am alone.
    A country gal at heart, but stuck in the big city for now. Then Adirondacks here I come again! I used to live up there and will return to the mountains someday and get myself a big old barn.
    Till then happy hatching!

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Welcome! [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sounds like you know what you're doing! Have fun.

4. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Welcome to BYC..

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello Maggie! [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

7. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Maggie! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by