Greetings from the Big Apple!

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
I'd like to introduce myself. I am Maggie from NYC ..Staten Island.
I actually got into rasing my urban chicks just this past June. I was gifted with 4, 1 week old peeps... by my brother who had just had a mixed bantam hatch from McMurry's. Hubby delivered them to me on my Birthday. I was shocked because being an animal freak it is like pulling teeth to get more little babies in here than I already have. 1 Parrot, 2 dogs, 3 fish.
I haven't stopped learning about my chicks since. I am truly addicted!
Needless to say, I am currently at maybe 28 of all ages and having a ball incubating all my own eggs. I am concentrating on raising Silkies only now. I do have one, white crested Black Polish who is my mascot. His/her name is Dinner and he thinks he is a dog. He/she is now 6 months old and no crowing yet so I am hopefull it's a she.
Few folks around here can believe I am doing this. I get lots of amused stares. bUT....they all want to come see my little flock! And then they always ask me how they are doing and if I got more.
big_smile.png
Hens are legal, roos are not in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Just need to be considerate of the neighbors and keep things really clean.
Now I have since hatched 24 silkies and showgirls aged 3 months to 3 weeks) to watch/see who is what. Fun! Husband is thinking I am crazy..........but he keeps helping me build my pens so it isn't too bad. Hopefully eggs will be coming this spring .
I am learning tons of info here and am so glad to have found this forum. I've already taken many tips and used them. I do not know another soul here on S.I. with chickens so am alone.
A country gal at heart, but stuck in the big city for now. Then Adirondacks here I come again! I used to live up there and will return to the mountains someday and get myself a big old barn.
Till then happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom