Greetings from the INW!

Duffmog

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Spokane, WA, USA
Hey all!

Chicken newbie based in Spokane, WA here! I've been doing a lot of article reading these past few months in preparation for raising some backyard chickens next year. Planning on having 4-6 chickens, hopefully breeds that lay blue and/or green eggs (love those colors). Going to be converting a large dog run area of my backyard into a coop + chicken run.

I'm a writer and editor with tons of interests, but backyard chickens falls into the sphere of my plant/gardening nerd hobbies (hopefully taking master gardener courses next year). Herbalism, permaculture, fermentation, urban agriculture, I love the idea of growing and utilizing things you can't really get at the grocery store. Backyard chickens seems to fit right in with all of it (plus, I think they'll satisfy my low-key pet desire quite nicely).

Originally started with the BackyardChickens subreddit on Reddit but I've already found this site to be far more helpful in terms of articles, and it looks like the community is way more accessible here (Reddit never really feels like a "community," per say to me, just people competing for internet points). Maybe it's nostalgia since I haven't been on forums since I was a teenager, but joining here just seemed like the right move.

Excited to learn a lot from this site and from all of you! Always looking for breed recommendations, too, especially if they're hipster ones. :p

You want to make sure that the chickens are also suited for your climate

Yeah I'll definitely have to be careful here! Summers can get to over 100 and winters can sometimes go to 0 or below. Luckily, my backyard is partially shaded by some maples, pines, and cedars, so I've got a bit of a microclimate going on.

I was browsing through one of the egg color guides and only just now learned about dark brown eggs! They look so cool!

Hey all!

Chicken newbie based in Spokane, WA here! I've been doing a lot of article reading these past few months in preparation for raising some backyard chickens next year. Planning on having 4-6 chickens, hopefully breeds that lay blue and/or green eggs (love those colors). Going to be converting a large dog run area of my backyard into a coop + chicken run.

I'm a writer and editor with tons of interests, but backyard chickens falls into the sphere of my plant/gardening nerd hobbies (hopefully taking master gardener courses next year). Herbalism, permaculture, fermentation, urban agriculture, I love the idea of growing and utilizing things you can't really get at the grocery store. Backyard chickens seems to fit right in with all of it (plus, I think they'll satisfy my low-key pet desire quite nicely).

Originally started with the BackyardChickens subreddit on Reddit but I've already found this site to be far more helpful in terms of articles, and it looks like the community is way more accessible here (Reddit never really feels like a "community," per say to me, just people competing for internet points). Maybe it's nostalgia since I haven't been on forums since I was a teenager, but joining here just seemed like the right move.

Excited to learn a lot from this site and from all of you! Always looking for breed recommendations, too, especially if they're hipster ones. :p

I think you'll fit right in. Chicken-Egg Drop-Zucchini Soup with a few greens and leeks floating around it in, or whatever your summer weakness may be. When you get to where you can pull it all from the back yard, that is one good feeling. I am into fermenting too. I haven't made it to the more exotic projects I'd like to, but the sauerkraut and dills, nothing at the grocery store compare to the ones from the crock.
I have a few Ameraucanas, they're not as tame as my brown egg layers. They are not aggressive either, just maybe a little suspicious when getting treats Etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Chicken-Egg Drop-Zucchini Soup with a few greens and leeks floating around it in, or whatever your summer weakness may be. When you get to where you can pull it all from the back yard, that is one good feeling. I am into fermenting too. I haven't made it to the more exotic projects I'd like to, but the sauerkraut and dills, nothing at the grocery store compare to the ones from the crock.

You had me at leeks! Next year is shaping up to be quite the agricultural year for me haha.

I highly recommend trying out a fermented hot sauce for your next fermentation project. It's all the delicious flavors of fermentation with a nice kick to boot too, and I'd say it's as simple as sauerkraut since you just make the brine and toss the peppers in. Goes great on eggs and meat and works as a tasty marinade too.

Back
Top Bottom