Greetings from Vermont

adrien

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 5, 2016
Vermont
Greetings from Southern Vermont! I’m not new to chickens as I’ve had them about 6 years now. And I started looking at this site back when I started my first flock. But I didn’t sign in - I just searched forums and looked at coop ideas. I started with a small flock of barred rock, Orpington and silkies. I had ducks that first year too. People started bringing me their unwanted chickens, the flocks they couldn’t take when they moved. I loved seeing them wandering around finding bugs and living their best life. My first coop was a goat run-in converted to hold chickens. It proved too small so I turned a 15x25 ish out building into a chicken coop by adding roosts and nest boxes. Predators proved to me that free ranging is good for their spirit but makes for short lives. Foxes and hawks took many over the years so I built a large run on the big building. Now, my main flock lives there and I have a satellite flock of 4 in the original coop. Well, one hen was broody and just hatched 9 babies in there!! Kevin, the rooster presides over that family. He’s very strict and protective. In my backyard I have an Omlet cube with 3 hens and a rooster. Henrietta and King run that coop. They free ranged during the day because 9’ run is pretty small. But I didn’t want the foxes to get them too so they get moved around every couple days - it’s a tractor. Oh and I have Guinea Fowl- now there’s 4 but I had 14 at one point and I have eggs in incubator due next week. They help mange the ticks.

Greetings from Southern Vermont! I’m not new to chickens as I’ve had them about 6 years now. And I started looking at this site back when I started my first flock. But I didn’t sign in - I just searched forums and looked at coop ideas. I started with a small flock of barred rock, Orpington and silkies. I had ducks that first year too. People started bringing me their unwanted chickens, the flocks they couldn’t take when they moved. I loved seeing them wandering around finding bugs and living their best life. My first coop was a goat run-in converted to hold chickens. It proved too small so I turned a 15x25 ish out building into a chicken coop by adding roosts and nest boxes. Predators proved to me that free ranging is good for their spirit but makes for short lives. Foxes and hawks took many over the years so I built a large run on the big building. Now, my main flock lives there and I have a satellite flock of 4 in the original coop. Well, one hen was broody and just hatched 9 babies in there!! Kevin, the rooster presides over that family. He’s very strict and protective. In my backyard I have an Omlet cube with 3 hens and a rooster. Henrietta and King run that coop. They free ranged during the day because 9’ run is pretty small. But I didn’t want the foxes to get them too so they get moved around every couple days - it’s a tractor. Oh and I have Guinea Fowl- now there’s 4 but I had 14 at one point and I have eggs in incubator due next week. They help mange the ticks.
Welcome to BYC! I'd love to see pictures of your flock(s) and your coops.

Back
Top Bottom