Greetings from Wichita!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WichitaKidd, Jan 22, 2012.

1. WichitaKidd

WichitaKidd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Just another newbie to backyard farming. Have thought about getting chickens for years & finally decided last fall I was going to do it. Ordered 6 chickens on-line back in December that will be here the end of March. 3 Wyandottes (Silver Lace, Golden, & Blue) 1 Orphington (Buff), 1 Australorp (Black) & 1 Red Star (it was red). Have spent hours reading thru forums like this (note: this is the best one I've found) researching different breeds, brooders, coop designs, feed, etc, you name it. It's almost become an obsession at this point. My wife, although not thrilled with this new hobby, is starting to warm up to the idea. She had a bad experience with chickens as a child (was attacked by a rooster) so it's taken a lot of convincing. My kids are fairly excited about it & everyone else just thinks I've gone crazy. When my co-workers found out I was getting chickens they were skeptical at first, but now I have at least one of them who's considering getting chickens too. The rest just want to buy eggs from me when I have them. I've told all the neighbors (who I care about anyway) about the chickens. One has already volunteered to be the "chicken sitter" when we're out of town.
    Thanks to everyone who posts to this forum. It has been a great research & information tool in helping me make many decisions. At this point everything is ready to go for when the chicks arrive. Built a 4x3x2 brooder box a few weekends ago & have all the supplies I think I need to start. Ironically, I had ALL the materials to build the brooder on hand in the garage except for the latches to keep the lids shut. Total cost of my brooder box was less than $10. Decided to wait for warmer weather before starting on building the coop. I've spent hours designing it & am anxious to get started. Although, it may end up costing me an arm & a leg. Need to go back over the plans with a more frugal eye. Slowly buying materials each pay check so that when the mood to build strikes I'm ready.
    Anyway, probably too much for a newbie introduction. Look forward to chatting with you all.
    Have a great day!
    David

2. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from a fellow Wichitan [​IMG]

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]

We're happy you're here!

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

8. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC -from Kansas! [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi David! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by