Greetings from Woodstock, AL

ladydanielle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm new to BYC and to Chickens! While I don't have any just yet, we're prepping for chickens, want to have everything as ready as we can before we get our first chicks! We just bought our first home in Woodstock, AL (Bibb County, near Vance)! No HOA here! WOOHOO!! Still need to double check any city ordinances, but we're pretty sure there aren't any, this is a tiny town, with a local feed store just down the road, like 2 miles away, maybe, which makes me really confident that there aren't going to be any ordinances to worry about. I'm really excited to learn from others' mistakes and experiences, and to have great success with as few bumps along the road as possible, though I do expect some! Does everyone raise chickens for eggs, or just as pets, or do any raise chickens for meat as well?

Welcome to BYC ladydanielle!
frow.gif

I raise my chickens as pets & to lay eggs. I don't think I could ever look one I raised in the face & then kill & eat it. I've only had chickens since May 5th of this year, but they have really opened my eyes to the horrible way our meat & egg production farms work & I've since cut down on my meat eating.

My 1st 12 chicks were a gift from my mom & I have loved every minute of it.

Good luck with your chickens!
yippiechickie.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
At the moment I'm keeping chickens as pets only. I absolutely adore chicks, so I also hatch as much as possible and I must confess my chickens eat more eggs than I do. I don't like eggs very much, but they get 3 boiled every other day and they love it.

welcome-byc.gif
Many people raise chickens for eggs & meat. Sometimes they are separate breeds layers and also meaties. Other times they raise what are called "dual purpose" breeds.

If you investigate BYC there are sections on meat birds and processing (for the table). Some people do and some people don't. The choice is yours.

Back
Top Bottom