Grey spot on head and comb

ace08

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2016
Oregon
Hello all! My Rhode Island Red has an area on top of her head where the feathers have fallen out and the skin looks grey. There is also a grey area towards the back of her comb. Her comb is folded over a little as well. Could this be a fungus? A google search has lead me to a number of different things but to my inexperienced eye nothing looks quite like the spot on my Fran. The only other thing I have noticed on any of my girls is three tiny black dots on the tip of my Jersey Giant's comb along with maybe some grey areas? I'm having a little bit of a hard time because their combs aren't very red yet. All the girls are all between 14-15 weeks old. Also in the few days since I have taken these pictures Fran's feathers have almost completely grown back in, but the grey areas remain. Any ideas on what this could be and what I can do to get rid of it?

First of all, let me assure you that the above pics look very normal. My chickens have had combs that looked like that at various times in the five years I've kept them. If your birds are acting plucky and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

As to what could be causing it, a good answer is simply dirt. Depending on what kind of dirt, dust, or debris your chickens come into contact with, their combs can look greyish or even purplish. The tips of my roosters' combs often look dark-red to purplish because of the way the dirt hides the bright red underneath.

The black spots on your chickens' combs are probably scabs from pecking, though I can't be certain because I don't have pictures of those.

~Gresh~

First of all, let me assure you that the above pics look  very normal. My chickens have had combs that looked like that at various times in the five years I've kept them. If your birds are acting plucky and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

As to what could be causing it, a good answer is simply dirt. Depending on what kind of dirt, dust, or debris your chickens come into contact with, their combs can look greyish or even purplish. The tips of my roosters' combs often look dark-red to purplish because of the way the dirt hides the bright red underneath.

The black spots on your chickens' combs are probably scabs from pecking, though I can't be certain because I don't have pictures of those.

~Gresh~

Sorry for my late reply here, thank you for your help! Everyone seems to be acting normal. Although today the girls seems to be a little grumpy, squawking and pecking at each other. Not sure what that's about. All of Fran's feathers have grown back in. Although I am noticing that a few of the other chickens seem to be getting small bald spots right around the back of their comb. Is it normal for them to lose some feathers up there? I remember seeing this in Fran when this whole thing started.

Oh the black spots I was referring to are teeny tiny spots right on the tips of the three tallest points of my Jersey Giants's comb in the last of the three pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom