Greyish Comb

dustinheft

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2021
Caldwell, ID
Hello,

Hoping someone may be able to help me here. This morning I was checking on my flock and I noticed my RIR had an interesting coloring on her comb. It is a pale pink, sorta dry looking, and most concerning is the shades of grey on it. She is of age to start laying but I don't think she has yet. I have 3 hens of the same age and only 1 has started (Barred Plymouth). I am in the pacific northwest so we have been dealing with some rather hot days lately, 100-108. However, this photo was taken at 8am and it was still in the mid-70s. I cannot find any photos online of what I am seeing with her, but I have read that their combs will go more pale when they are about to lay. As for temperament, she is still very active and moving. She is eating and drinking normally and has not had any visible changes in weight. She has started a submissive squat as well. Should I be concerned or just watch it. All others seem to be healthy as normal without discoloration.
20210712_105751.jpg
20210712_105755.jpg

Hi! Usually, this means there is something wrong with her. she could have heat exhaustion, worms, anemia, or lice/mites. If I were you, I would take her to the vet so that they can properly diagnose and treat her.

I forgot to delete the post, it was mud and I feel very stupid now. It rubbed off a few hours later and she is back to a bright red comb. False alarm but thank you for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom