Greyscale Acres -- Chapter 1

Ok, so quite different. Here they upload a service to YouTube or stream live.. have a great Sunday even though you lost a little one

We did that for nearly 3 months.

It's a big, evangelical church so we were already livestreaming, but they took a survey of members once restrictions were easing and decided that they'd start up live services with distancing.

I do hospitality so people are getting used to having me fill their coffee for them and not taking off their masks until they're seated in the worship center.

The chicks' first storm.

As it was coming up and the temperature was dropping I opened the door to plug the heat lamp back in and found them putting themselves to bed in the gathering darkness.

I went back out to check the temperatures after because the air temperature dropped dramatically. I lowered the lamp a little and found the coop perfectly dry and the chicks snuggled in what has become their favorite corner. Temperature under the lamp was just under 90 so I lowered it a little. I'll check the updated forecast for overnight soon -- probably have to put it all the way down again.

The chicks' first storm.

As it was coming up and the temperature was dropping I opened the door to plug the heat lamp back in and found them putting themselves to bed in the gathering darkness.

I went back out to check the temperatures after because the air temperature dropped dramatically. I lowered the lamp a little and found the coop perfectly dry and the chicks snuggled in what has become their favorite corner. Temperature under the lamp was just under 90 so I lowered it a little. I'll check the updated forecast for overnight soon -- probably have to put it all the way down again.

didthey sleep ok?

My first day at work with DH and DS#3 minding the chicks for me. They unplugged the lamp at the appropriate time and reported on their condition via text.

I gave them a dose of Sav-A-Chick in a second waterer just in case. When I got home both waterers were a mess and the feed was all over creation -- normal, healthy chick behavior!

I was trying not to hope too hard yesterday when I thought I saw a bit of white on the Wyandotte sisters' wings but it's clear tonight, black lacing around white.

1593477618356.png

Chipotle has the most adorable tiny tailfeathers!

1593477684930.png

I gave them a bit of grass and dirt to mess with:

1593477736473.png

I am trying to gently catch and handle chicks without terrifying them too much. Popcorn and Picatta, the Wyandottes are usually the easiest to catch. The Australorps, Cordon and Teriyaki, are nearly impossible.

I was at work today and have no stories of chick escapades or new chick-keeper learning to relate. But for as long as the impending rain will permit I'm going to sit here at the access door of the coop chillin' with my peeps.

AKA, sitting here with my Chromebook where they can see me in hope of reducing their terror of the giants who provide feed and water by them getting used to my presence.

Soon Chipotle will no longer be the only one with tailfeathers. I spotted tiny proto-feathers on the rear ends of Popcorn, one of the Wyandottes, and Teriyaki, one of the blue Australorps.

Naturally, the big Brahma girls have no sign of tail feathers despite being two weeks older.

I uprooted a little plaintain weed and put it into their bedding. They've been quite curious, but are now back at the feeder.

Tomorrow I have to figure out how to raise that feeder the right amount because they are spilling impressive quantities.

Back
Top Bottom