Grieving ducks

laurita1510

Songster
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Hi everyone. My darling Aylesbury died unexpectedly on Wednesday night. We have a make and female khaki still so the vet looked them over Thursday and said that they are in fine health so won't have anything from her. Now thought, my girl hsnt layed since and is quacking a lot, generally not herself. Could it just be grief in which case other than adding to the flock which we are doing next weekend, is there anything else I can do? I'm fumigating their home against any mites or anything nasty and keeping them elsewhere meanwhile. I love them more than anything in the world and the grief and fear if loosing them in unreal. Could she be egg bound or am I just being paranoid?

I am sorry for your loss.

My neighbors had lost one of their ducks and the one left behind was definitely upset. Quaking loudly and often which was unusual behavior. Adding more ducks may help create a distraction from the grief but hopefully not add another stressor. I am not familiar with ducks and don't know if they integrate easier than chickens do.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Best wishes.

Is she still eating and drinking normally? If so, I think it's just her trying to search for her missing friend. Typically if they are egg bound they will become lethargic, stop eating and drinking, and just appear quite ill. If you are worried though, you can gently feel around her lower abdomen area (near the cloaca) and see if you feel an egg in there, just to be sure.

I had to re-home my drake several months ago (he was too aggressive with my special needs girl, so he had to go) and I have another female that was very bonded to him. She started quacking alot and just making alot of noise for several weeks after I sold him. It was like she was calling for him, and always searching. Pretty much broke my heart and I actually contemplated calling the guy I sold my drake to to see if he wanted to take in my female as well. I am very attached to her since she was my very first duck though, so I was hesitant and waited a little longer to see if it would pass. She did stop the quacking/searching and has now bonded with one of my other females instead. It just takes time for them to get over things. Ducks do sometimes exhibit complex feelings and emotions, more than I think most people give them credit for.

Definitely! Sure they feel love. She's been running around a lot and at the moment she's sitting still with the drake. Her abdomen feels fine and her vent looks normal. She's not keen on feed right now but had eaten and drank durin the day. It just sounds like she's crying. I'm getting ducklings Saturday which I'm told have just started to pip today. Any tips on integrating them? It's so hard I just want my girl back x

Definitely! Sure they feel love. She's been running around a lot and at the moment she's sitting still with the drake. Her abdomen feels fine and her vent looks normal. She's not keen on feed right now but had eaten and drank durin the day. It just sounds like she's crying. I'm getting ducklings Saturday which I'm told have just started to pip today. Any tips on integrating them? It's so hard I just want my girl back x
So are you planning a quarantine period or taking your chances?

I'm going to keep them separate and try to gradually introduce them with supervision and hope it works! Any tips? Of drake little dot is a really good boy and incredibly well behaved x

Typically you wouldn't want to introduce ducklings to adult ducks until they are the same size as the adults (around 2 months old). Ducks don't take kindly to ducklings that they did not hatch out themselves. Keeping them near your adult ducks for awhile and letting them all get used to each other gradually (like you planned) is the way to go. :) Good luck! And I hope your girl calms down soon, the poor thing.

that's my girl. Thanks for your advice. Will update

She's finally layed an egg! She's sitting and never done it before and due to her grief I'm thinking maybe I should let her? But would she stop her bond she has with us if she's a mummy? Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom