Grieving hen gone broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LesGan, May 16, 2011.

1. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    I have a 10 month old laying buff orpington hen whose brother was rehomed yesterday. Brother had been isolated from head rooster and flock for a few weeks in a large pen within the chicken yard where this hen would often hang out around his pen keeping him company. I rarely put them together because I knew the rooster would be leaving, and I wanted the hen to stay integrated with the existing flock. Tonight this hen is in a nesting box instead of on the roosting poles and I first thought she was upset, but she appears to be broody with her pecking and growling, and she is indeed on an egg. This hen is much smaller than her siblings and I have not seen the rooster mount her. My question.....has her grieving for her brother made her go broody? I don't know whether the egg is fertile or not and don't know if I should just let it play out. Any insights? Thanks.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You could always slip some under her that you know are fertile. Give her some new family ties to be concerned with.

I don't know if the broody behavior can be linked to the loss of the brother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by