Grilling With Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wischickenlover, Jun 17, 2008.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I learned a valuable lesson the other day.... I bought one of those little hibachi grills because I wanted to grill a nice, big, juicy t-bone steak for my DH for Father's Day. I put it out on the deck and lit the charcoal. No problems. That was, til I went to put the steak on. You woulda thought someone rang the dinner bell for my 49 chickens!! A ll of them came running top-speed and started pecking the steak, trying desperately to swipe it away from me. I could just see myself now....running circles around the backyard on Father's Day, chasing a steak-stealing chicken. Word to the wise.....if you're gonna grill around the chickens, make sure it's a nice, big, TALL grill, or they will assume it's THEIR dinner. Lesson learned![​IMG]
  2. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
  3. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    [​IMG] I think that would have been a very amusing site to see! Chicken with the steak running from you! Its a good thing the chicken did not decide to eat it on the grill, you would have had both steak and grilled chicken for Fathers Day! [​IMG]
  4. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    That is one visual that will stick in my brain for the rest of the night for sure. Thanks for the giggle! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Our chickens LOVE perching on top of our grill (when the cover's on, of course). Gives us a laugh, that irony. [​IMG]

Here's Olympia about to hop on there:
  6. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    That would have made a great video for America's Funniest Videos tv show!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That'll teach ya not to share. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by