'grit' - advice needed

verity

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Clemmons
I am interested to know how you all feed 'grit.' In a mason-jar type feeder? Shallow bowl? Mixed in with the regular feed?

Thanks!

My girls are confined to a run during the work week. I just threw 2-3 handfuls of grit on the run ground and figured they'd scratch at it and get what they needed. They free-range in my yard on the weekend when I'm home.

When they were little I gave them grit in a bowl and you'd think it was chick chocolate, they loved it so much.

Every couple of weeks I dump a couple cups in a pile in the run. They always scratch it all over the place and in a couple weeks it's gone. Like JennsPeeps, I figure if they need it they'll take it.

I feed grit to my confined birds, but those in the run eat enough dirt covered treat to meet their requirements without my intervention.

I have sand in my cage, would I still need to offer grit?

smile.png

My layer feed contains both grit and oyster shell. Every now and then I give the girls some grit (for fun) in a wall-mount feeder. They *love* that. I know they don't need it but the instinct is so strong I prefer to let them play.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom