grit? and hens will not leave bedding in nest boxs

texchi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 7, 2008
I wondered if sand or gravel is a good grit or do you have to use oyster shell?? My hens will not leave bedding in nest boxes, they work to get every bit out before they will lay. I have been using straw, i am thinking about a piece of carpeting, they keep cracking thier eggs in the metal. Any suggestions would be great.

Grit and Oyster shell are different things - sand, rough dirt etc works for me to replace grit. They do need oyster shell, and more so if you're not using layer feed. I don't use layer feed - so I make sure they have free choice oyster shell.

Some folks use that shelf liner stuff for the nest box. Carpet would work but it might get damp and need cleaning alot.

Have you got a little blockage so stuff can't be kicked out? you need a little lip thing on the nest box. I use shavings and it works for me (and the hens)

Last edited:
These are what my nest boxes look like

http://tamanaka.com/MainGallery/ImageAndCaption.aspx?ImgID=275

I use pine shavings and they dont seem ot mind a bit. they dont even poo in the nestboxes.

Of course I only have 2 psycho chickens... or is it me that's psycho?
big_smile.png

I agree with Wildsky on the grit and oyster shell issue. Two entirely different purposes.
I stuff my nest boxes plum full of hay. The hens make nice little cozy nests out of the hay. They don't kick it out. When I used pine shavings I had to replace some of it every day to keep enough in there to cushion the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom