Grit and oyster shell question???

Becky89*

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
pennsylvania
I have older chickens (4years to 8years old) I was wondering how often should I be giving them grit and oyster shells?? In the winter when they are inside I mix it in with their feed once a week. In the spring and summer when they are outside I give it to them once a month...........

My understanding from what I've read is grit should be fed free choice. I have container attached to the wall of my coop that I keep grit in. I mix layer grower size grit w/ the oyster shell grit and crushed eggs shells too.

thank you all so much.......i was worried that I wasn't giving them a enough .......what kind of container should i put it inside so that they can get it?

Becky89* :

thank you all so much.......i was worried that I wasn't giving them a enough .......what kind of container should i put it inside so that they can get it?

I use rabbit feeders because they were easy to attach to the wall (a piece of harware cloth stapled between the studs) and I already had some here.​

Or use simple, cheap bowls. I use two small ones against the coop wall; they empty them as they want. Sometimes in a few days, sometimes it takes weeks.

I use the sheetrock mud containers. I have them attached to the wall and just keep them half full. The ones I use are plastic. You can buy them at any Home Depot etc.
33315_hpim0880.jpg

I do free and cheap whenever I can so...my shell is in an old yogurt container which I nailed to a deck post and my grit is in a tuna can, also nailed to a deck post.

Back
Top Bottom