Sponsored Post Grit and Oyster Shell: When in Doubt, Put it Out

Looks like those egg shells are crushed well beyond recognition... that's the goal. You don't want to condition them to eat their own eggs. Bake them on a cookie sheet. It sterilises them and makes them brittle so they crush better. It cant hurt to have a little oyster shell on hand, so that in the winter when bugs are scarce, they can choose to peck at it. Also if your birds are kept in without forage you'll need extra calcium...

We get bushels of oysters every year. Usually dump the spent shells out in the woods. After paying $4 [very small bag, 2lbs. maybe] yesterday at the feed store for OS , i will be visiting that pile in the woods next time. They should be good and bleached out by now. Do i need to rinse them? and for the Grit... We have a graveley drive with what i think is limestone? its white? Are you saying i can just crush it up instead of buying Grit? Thank you, melissa

We get bushels of oysters every year. Usually dump the spent shells out in the woods. After paying $4 [very small bag, 2lbs. maybe] yesterday at the feed store for OS , i will be visiting that pile in the woods next time. They should be good and bleached out by now. Do i need to rinse them? and for the Grit... We have a graveley drive with what i think is limestone? its white? Are you saying i can just crush it up instead of buying Grit? Thank you, melissa
Limestone is more like oyster shells as it supplies calcium and is more soluble in acid than what should be used for grit (such as granite). If you are crushing it up, then about 3/16 - 5/16 inch is about right for large fowl (aka standard) that are laying. So aim for 1/4 inch.

Last edited:
We get bushels of oysters every year. Usually dump the spent shells out in the woods. After paying $4 [very small bag, 2lbs. maybe] yesterday at the feed store for OS , i will be visiting that pile in the woods next time. They should be good and bleached out by now. Do i need to rinse them? and for the Grit... We have a graveley drive with what i think is limestone? its white? Are you saying i can just crush it up instead of buying Grit? Thank you, melissa

I think it is wise to heat the shells (slowly to avoid any shell explosions in an oven set at 225°). This will sterilize the shells and make it much easier to bust em up with a hammer after they cool...wear some goggles!!!

Sooo does oyster shell go bad? I have some that smell a little "musty"? have had it for quite some time stored in a closed bin outside...don't believe it got wet though? I should probably just toss it and buy another bag huh?

Back
Top Bottom