Sponsored Post Grit and Oyster Shell: When in Doubt, Put it Out

Can anyone explain to me how oyster shell while soluble, disappears when tossed on the ground.... oysters live in water folks, their shells don't just dissolve.... Right? I think the girls are just eating it while you are not looking!

Can anyone explain to me how oyster shell while soluble, disappears when tossed on the ground.... oysters live in water folks, their shells don't just dissolve.... Right? I think the girls are just eating it while you are not looking!
There's probably a world of difference in whole oyster shells, and ground oyster shells. that is why they are able to break down the bits, they are already pre broken down.

I personally don't buy that oyster shells are all that WATER soluble. I'm sure they're soluble in stomach acid, and probably uric acid--why it may dissolve on the floor of a coop. It's used as a soil fertilizer and is valued for being "long lasting" and "slow releasing" of nutrients--keep in mind there is carbonic acid in soil.

I found one peer-reviewed article regarding oyster shell depletion in reefs, they described "rapid" depletion as a rate of 50% loss of shells in 2 years.

I'm sure there are biologists that can refute or support my guesses.

I'm not concerned enough about oyster shell solubility to spend any more time looking for info. If you really wanted to know, you could get some oyster shell, get a few dishes, and put varying amounts of water with a constant amount of oyster shell and see how long it takes to disappear. Maybe once I've got a few projects done around the house I'll try it.

I keep it out for my birds in a little dish and they don't spill it anymore (they did for the first week it was in the coop but that game got old); and as mentioned before, my little 5 lb bag is 6 months old so it's not like there is some oyster shell disappearing act--I'm far more concerned about socks going missing in the dryer.

Thanks Popsicle.... i am really just questioning how folks think that a little rain falls and poof! Its gone!.... I'm new here, and ive got a really dry sarcastic humor most of the time im the only one laughing. I have had chickens for five years now, and am looking forward to the info available here!

I live in rainy Oregon and my husband scattered some oyster shells in the uncovered part of the run at least 2 weeks ago. They are still there. So, no oyster shells disappearing in the rain here. Anyhow, since then we have made a little wooden box and mounted it in the dry area for oyster shells. I have been saving my eggs shells and am going to start mixing them in as well. I read that you can roast them in the oven and it will dry out the membrane and make them brittle and easier to crumble. I tried to break them up without roasting them and give them back to the girls and it was pretty unsuccessful.

As far as encouraging them to eat their own eggs by feeding them, I hear it is highly unlikely. Definitely crunch them beyond recognition.

I spilled a small mound of chick starter on the way to the coop a week ago, and it still hasn't washed away, and it has rained like crazy...surely oyster shells outlast ground grains and such...Anyway,

I have never heard of just shell grit. I have head of crushed/ground oyster shells, and grit. Not shell grit, so I can't help. But perhaps this will being some more attention to get your question answered. maybe...?

The stuff i have has very small versions of the spiral shell in this picture along with grit.

The chickens eat it, but I'm just curious because this article says you need Grit and Oyster shells???

Last edited:
The stuff i have has very small versions of the spiral shell in this picture along with grit.

The chickens eat it, but I'm just curious because this article says you need Grit and Oyster shells???
No expert by any means here, but i would be a bit hesitent to feed something with those whole spiral shells in it. You can order a bag of Oyster shell grit from one of the poultry sites if you can't find it. The Oyster grit I feed says Oyster shell on the bag, and looks like crushed up white rocks. Sorry I don't know enough to give you a clear answer.

Good Luck!
MB

Back
Top Bottom