1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit and oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cicene mete, Mar 21, 2009.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Should I be giving my hens grit and oyster shell, or is oyster shell enough?

I've heard conflicting advice on whether oyster shell is a substitute for grit. We just started putting our chickens and a small chicken tractor for a few hours a day, and the grass is pretty rough (early spring in Massachusetts). I'm getting a lot of cecal poops, and it makes me think that maybe the oyster shell is not enough and I need to add some grit.

Thanks!

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I give both. The grit I toss out on the coop floor during the winter and they fluffed in it more than ate it. Now they can go outside but I still see them snacking on grit and shell both.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's my understanding that oyster shell is not a substitute for grit. I left my oyster shell and grit feeders outside once while I cleaned the coop and forgot it. After it rained the OS had started to turn to chalk; not so of the grit. "Chalk" is not going to work to grind up their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by