Grit - do i give it all the time

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by herbsherbsflowers, Jun 8, 2008.

1. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    I've tried to figure out from all the posts. I know they need grit before you start giving them treats, but then does it need to be continuously available for them.. I don't want them to get all filled up on sand.

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I just add a little to their feed every day when they are in the coop. If they are out in their pen which is on the grass, then I toss a small handful in.

3. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I provide it free choice all the time and will do the same with oyster shell when its time for them to be laying, around 18/19 weeks.

LOL, you should have seen the looks on the feed store people when I went in to ask for it. They said, "do you mean oyster shell?"..."No" I said, "chick grit". Then one of the guys says..."What about that stuff we ordered by mistake?" I thought it was hilarious that they mistakenly order the exact stuff that I was after.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    Thanks. I had gone through one box of it and wondered if I need to get more.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Chook gets regular feeding: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I put about a 1/2 tablespoon of mixed oyster shell and granite grit on top of her food.

6. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Do I really need to buy grit when I have a whole sandbox full of it? It's washed river sand so it has lots of tiny pebbles in it, too.

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Didn't I read somewhere that if you're using oyster shells you don't also have to supply grit? Or am I thinking I read that?

8. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    i have never bought grit (but i have bought oyster shell), I just use corse sand from our riding arena. offer them a variety of corse pebbels, or just let them out on a sandy area and they will find what they need. they don't need grit there all the time but its good to offer it to them like onece a week.

9. I use sand from the kids box.

10. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I have never used grit. My chickens go outside and there is no reason to supply it to them when they are pecking the groud and getting it for them self. A lot of feed stores don't know what you are talking about, because some feeds already contain it when formulated and most "Country Folk" only feed their chickens cracked corn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by