grit for 9 day old chicks. What kind of sand? I keep reading differing

You want construction sand because the pieces are bigger and sharper. Soft, fine sand is pretty much going to be worthless. Don't use parakeet grit b/c of the added calcium.

I put a little dish (square pyrex dish) of garden dirt in there. We have pretty sandy soil. They looked at it like it was going to kill them at first. Then one slowly went up and pecked in it and ran and the others chased her. By the time I checked on them later, the dirt was all patted flat so they must have been in it, walking around.

I may still get the construction sand.

Tractor Supply sells chick grit or if you have regular granite grit you can sift it and use the finer grit for the chicks. If the grit appears to be pretty much the same size, smash some up. The Gizzard is best able to break down whole grains and other chunky bits that they eat when full of grit. Longest lasting grit is Granite, that lasts well. All other rock and stone is so much softer, that it wears down fast.

I think that dirt from the yard will be fine for grit. A little sand. Small little rocks. The problem with some oyster shell is it is too big for the little chicks. I fed mine just crumbles until they were old enough to go out and then they found what grit they needed in the run.
Caroline

I bought "sand in a tube" for my chicks, which I thought would be okay because it wouldn't be as fine as play sand. However, it's pretty darn soft and small. They still seem to eat it so I hope it's okay. I plan to buy chick grit from Farm & Fleet in the future though.

Quote:
The bigger problem with oyster shell for chicks is the calcium content. Too much calcium isn't good for young chicks. It's great when they reach laying age, just not good for growing age.

Back
Top Bottom