Grit for brooder?

JennD08

Chirping
Mar 9, 2017
We have a mixed flock that are 5 weeks old (4 barred rock, 5 ameracauna, 3 Rhode Island Red). They are on starter and bedding is shaved pine chips. We have given them a few crickets now because when a bug got in the brooder these ladies went nuts and gobbled it down. I, however, did not see about grit and we did sprinkle some mealworms in for them as well as a a couple pieces of greens. Nothing as a meal replacement but now I'm worried about getting grit to them ASAP as I don't want them to get sick :(

I wish I had read and asked about grit sooner, but what is best choice for them that I can go get today? I love my girls and don't want them to get sick. They seem to just adore the treats and that they can scratch and actually find food

Our dirt is just Georgia clay. Would sand or oyster shell be too much for the little gals? They seem so happy foraging up the mealworms and chasing the crickets; I'd like to keep them happy and not bored
1f60a.png

I have a 40lb bag of play sand sitting on the driveway. When I take the used bedding out to the compost pile, I grab a handful of sand and re-charge the coffee-can lid in the brooder. They'll attack it like it's mealworms ... then scratch in it and ultimately turn it upside down and dump the sand into the bedding.

No Sand will not do, its too small. it will pass right through the chicken .oyster shell has too much calcium in it, that will not do . plain stones from the yard aren't sharp enough, they won't do . You need insoluable granite grit which will have sharp edges.

best go to the store and buy some chicken grit .

go to your search engine ,type in : Gran-i-grit PDF : An online brochure will come up . the second page of the of the brochure lists the size grit you need for the age of your chickens.
okay have a good day.
Thank you,
Karen

Last edited:
I never feed my chicks grit.After they are 8-10 days old, I let them roam in a covered secure pen, for no more then 25 minutes with complete super vision.So unless your feeding pasta or anything beside feed, hard boiled egg and yogurt, they will be fine without grit.

No Sand will not do, its too small. it will pass right through the chicken .oyster shell has too much calcium in it, that will not do . plain stones from the yard aren't sharp enough, they won't do . You need insoluable granite grit which will have sharp edges.

best go to the store and buy some chicken grit .

go to your search engine ,type in : Gran-i-grit PDF : An online brochure will come up . the second page of the of the brochure lists the size grit you need for the age of your chickens.
okay have a good day.
Thank you,
Karen

Not to be obtuse, but how did chickens survive before Gran-i-Grit was available?

Play sand has quite the selection of grit sizes (see pic). Masonry sand would not be my first choice.

I've never fed grit, they know how to select the right stones for themselves and as I put mine out at 8 weeks, I don't see much harm in waiting till they can get it themselves and save me some money!XD

Back
Top Bottom