Grit for ducks. Can any sea shell do?

Betsy88pi

Hatching
May 17, 2021
Here where I live ground-up oyster shells are hard to come by. And 5 times the average price in the states. I have been hand grinding clamshells for the ducks, although the clamshells have been baking in the sun for a few months so I guess they're sterilized. Could I boil the sea snail shells?. Their huge, the size of large clams. I'll get some extra grit for the ducks now. They free range so they probably have some grit. I´ll put a photo of the sea-snail-shell later so you guys can see if it's worthy of duck consumption.
Also, I say I don't have enough calcium is because every time I put the ground clamshells or any other source of calcium the ducks gobble it up so quickly that nothing is left after a few seconds. Also, some ducks eat soo much that others don't get any. I have been having some softshells so I don't prevent the ducks from eating it. So I guess I need more calcium.
What is the cost of oyster shells where you live?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Premium Feather Member
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
The composition of a snail shell is actually 95-99% calcium carbonate. My normal carrier for oyster shells has been out of stock forever so I bought a bag of oyster shells from TSC and it was riddled with small pieces of metal...so I would gladly take my chances with the boiled snail shells if I had that option right now.

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
The composition of a snail shell is actually 95-99% calcium carbonate. My normal carrier for oyster shells has been out of stock forever so I bought a bag of oyster shells from TSC and it was riddled with small pieces of metal...so I would gladly take my chances with the boiled snail shells if I had that option right now.
That's really scary if you found metal in there.

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Premium Feather Member
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
That's really scary if you found metal in there.
The sad part is there wasn't just a small piece or two, but it was completely filled with small metal pieces like bits of what looked like steel wool. I threw the whole thing away and didn't let my ducks anywhere near it. I even had my husband look at it because I thought I was seeing things and there was no way someone could manufacturer something filled with metal shards like that.

KaleIAm

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 13, 2015
Carnation, Wa
The sad part is there wasn't just a small piece or two, but it was completely filled with small metal pieces like bits of what looked like steel wool. I threw the whole thing away and didn't let my ducks anywhere near it. I even had my husband look at it because I thought I was seeing things and there was no way someone could manufacturer something filled with metal shards like that.
I've heard of this before, on other threads. :(

Top Bottom