Grit is Unavailable ATM

soospickle

Chirping
Jul 6, 2022
Eastern Canada
Hi Everyone!
I cannot get chick grit where I live and the farm supply store doesn't know when their supply of regular/adult grit will arrive. My chicks are 6 weeks now and I would like to start letting them out in the grass during the day. Is there an alternative I could use in the interim? I do have access to oyster, but I have been reading it's not really the same and should be given only when about to lay.

Thank you!

Do they have grower grit? I used grower grit for my youngsters and it seems to do the trick. Otherwise, I agree with giving a scoop of rocky/gravely soil/sand.
They have nothing available at the moment, they are waiting for their order from the mill. I will definitely try giving them some dirt to scratch around in! Thank you :)

TBH, they don't really need grit at all if you are giving them crumbles. But yea, as others have said, an easy free source of grit is to just let them get their claws into the dirt in your yard - either by taking a fieldtrip to the yard or by shoveling a pile into the brooder.

For my most recent batch of chicks, I've provided absolutely no grit and they are doing just fine. Crumble food and the broody momma took them outside to scratch at around 2 weeks.

TBH, they don't really need grit at all if you are giving them crumbles. But yea, as others have said, an easy free source of grit is to just let them get their claws into the dirt in your yard - either by taking a fieldtrip to the yard or by shoveling a pile into the brooder.

For my most recent batch of chicks, I've provided absolutely no grit and they are doing just fine. Crumble food and the broody momma took them outside to scratch at around 2 weeks.
Awesome, thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom