Grit options for brooder hen and chicks in a run with grass

Annie3415

Hatching
Apr 12, 2022
I have three week old chicks with a brooder hen. They are in a separate coop with their own small yard which is grassed. Can I put out both chick grit and adult grit for the hen? I’m afraid the chicks will try the adult grit and it will be too big for them.

They are separated because our coop for the older hens and rooster has a ladder and is rather high. Didn’t want them to be hurt as chicks. Smaller coop has a ramp vs ladder but even now mom doesn’t have them roosting yet. She’s still cuddling with them under the coop although the chicks are playing on the ladder and they have pretty good flight now. I’m giving all my chickens grit as I was told that the sandy soil in Florida doesn’t provide the optimum breakdown of food. It’s too fine and doesn’t have the sharp edges that granite grit has.

Personally I would just sprinkle a tiny pinch of chick grit in their food once every few days. It does nothing to the hen, and ensures the chicks will likely intake some grit, but prevents them from gorging on it.

I wouldn't bother with any grit for the hen, she likely already has some still in her system and it's only for a short period of time anyhow. She can go get grit once you start integrating them back with the other birds.

Back
Top Bottom