Grit & Oyster Shell Dispenser

Could you use the same method with something that was heavy duty plastic? I'm just a little worried about using glass.

I wouldn't be afraid of the glass breaking as long as there is no liquid in it. With it being used for calcium and grit, I think its a perfect solution. There's lots of glass exposed to freezing temps on a regular basis and we never give it a second thought. And there are certainly a lot of interestingly shaped bottles that can be used to add character. I have a few bottles I've been saving for the perfect project...and I think I just found it.

Thanks...that's true...after I posted my question I remembered that I have one of the feeder/waterer bases that works with a glass Mason jar. I've not had a problem with those.

I'm just wondering how well that actually dispenses the oyster shell? The stuff I've used in the past seems like it might be prone to clogging up at the neck of the wine bottle. I like the idea though.

How does this seem to be working for you? I really like the idea.
smile.png

I made mine a while ago and it works great. Very little waste and they have unlimited access. I love it...mine looks a little different though...I'll try to take pics when I get home...

I'm not sure what kind of calcium the rest of you are using, but the oyster shell I buy in a 50# bag will clog up in an opening that small. I'm going to try to make a dispenser out of either a large diameter pipe or plywood like my feed dispenser.

I use the oyster shell in a 50lb bag from my local TSC. I am also gonna try to grind up old egg shells and use those as well. I am more concerned about the eggshells than the oyster shells. The oyster shells flow out very smoothly...never seem to be an issue. I would think if they did plug up, the chickens would peck at the bottle and they would effectively keep it from clogging. I also have one for grit, which is the crushed granite also from TSC, without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom