1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EvansMeXo, May 27, 2017.

1. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    I read somewhere that baby chicks need different grit than adults, that the adult grit is too big. This is all my store had when can I start giving it to them? Will they only take what they need or should I limit how much I add

Attached Files:

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not about amount, chickens only eat what they need, it's that chicks need smaller grit. They don't need it if they're only eating starter/grower. They do need it if they're getting treats

EvansMeXo likes this.
  3. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    We used to mix of big containers full of the mixture we wanted to use. However, we have reduced to feeding once a day, because that keeps the rodent population from being tempted to make a home. But, yes, baby chicks need chick grit. Adults I like to use granite grit, which are larger. Chick grit is finer, and smaller, so that it can be used in their tiny craws. If you have ever butchered a rooster, and took apart the gizzard, you will see grit in there. That is how they digest their food safety. It is essentially their 'teeth' as they don't have any like mamals do.

EvansMeXo likes this.
  4. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Yes I understand that it's not about amount, I just wanted to make sure they wouldn't eat too much, and this is chicken grit so it's too big? i got it because I wanted to start giving them the occasional cricket as a treat.. I also let them free range outside for a half hour everyday so I'm worried about them eating grass and other things and not having enough grit to digest it.. I was told that they would get grit from dirt themselves but they never seem to peck at the dirt, just long grass and ants

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody hen is offering the chicks all kinds of treats and bugs. I had forgotten about chick grit and none of my local feed stores carry it. I ordered some from Amazon but it won't arrive until Monday. In the meantime I am hoping that they are getting what they need from the dirt and sand on the ground of the pen. Is there something that can be used as a grit substitute for chicks?

6. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    FYI check the pet supply stores, often you can get tiny grit for small parrots and I think it would be the same thing.

An additional question. So they have grit available do you just put it in a small bowl in their brooder or toss it in the bedding for them to peck at? My chicks arrive late next week. I'm adding a stationary grit and oyster shell stations in my run when I get it built. Course nothing in the oyster shell one until they are old enough.

EvansMeXo likes this.
  7. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

You toss tthe grit down in the bedding.

I've never used grit, and I've never had a problem. I instead just dig up a clump of grass and dirt, and they scratch at that

EvansMeXo likes this.
  8. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia

Maybe I'll do this and then they can have all the bugs and worms in it too... their 1-3 weeks old

9. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I did go to a pet store but the only grit they had on hand had oyster shell in it so I didn't get it. Glad to see that @Poultry parent has had luck with the low-tech dirt method.

10. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    Thanks, I'm adding a pan of dirt to my brooder at the suggestion of many here so they can do dust baths and increase their immunity to anything that might be in my soil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by