Grit question

EvansMeXo

Songster
May 20, 2017
Nova Scotia
I read somewhere that baby chicks need different grit than adults, that the adult grit is too big. This is all my store had when can I start giving it to them? Will they only take what they need or should I limit how much I add

Attachments

• IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 5
I read somewhere that baby chicks need different grit than adults, that the adult grit is too big. This is all my store had when can I start giving it to them? Will they only take what they need or should I limit how much I add

We used to mix of big containers full of the mixture we wanted to use. However, we have reduced to feeding once a day, because that keeps the rodent population from being tempted to make a home. But, yes, baby chicks need chick grit. Adults I like to use granite grit, which are larger. Chick grit is finer, and smaller, so that it can be used in their tiny craws. If you have ever butchered a rooster, and took apart the gizzard, you will see grit in there. That is how they digest their food safety. It is essentially their 'teeth' as they don't have any like mamals do.

Yes I understand that it's not about amount, I just wanted to make sure they wouldn't eat too much, and this is chicken grit so it's too big? i got it because I wanted to start giving them the occasional cricket as a treat.. I also let them free range outside for a half hour everyday so I'm worried about them eating grass and other things and not having enough grit to digest it.. I was told that they would get grit from dirt themselves but they never seem to peck at the dirt, just long grass and ants

My broody hen is offering the chicks all kinds of treats and bugs. I had forgotten about chick grit and none of my local feed stores carry it. I ordered some from Amazon but it won't arrive until Monday. In the meantime I am hoping that they are getting what they need from the dirt and sand on the ground of the pen. Is there something that can be used as a grit substitute for chicks?

FYI check the pet supply stores, often you can get tiny grit for small parrots and I think it would be the same thing.

An additional question. So they have grit available do you just put it in a small bowl in their brooder or toss it in the bedding for them to peck at? My chicks arrive late next week. I'm adding a stationary grit and oyster shell stations in my run when I get it built. Course nothing in the oyster shell one until they are old enough.

You toss tthe grit down in the bedding.

I've never used grit, and I've never had a problem. I instead just dig up a clump of grass and dirt, and they scratch at that

Thanks, I'm adding a pan of dirt to my brooder at the suggestion of many here so they can do dust baths and increase their immunity to anything that might be in my soil.

Back
Top Bottom