Grit questions

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
I bought some small bags of crushed granite grit today from our local Agway. It's up $2 to $10 per five pound bag and I thought it was expensive when it was $8 a bag.

Is there an alternative? I mean it's rocks. Does grit have to be granite?

At Farm & Fleet in Waukesha, Wisconsin, I just bought a 50 pound bag of the same type of grit for $8.39...the little rocks seem so big, but the bag is the #2 size that says on the back is right for the age of our birds. I think it says "cherry stone" on the front, and it is granite also.
I used grit paper in the brooder starting from day one that you can get at Walmart for $2.87...it was doubly great for the chicks because it was a good walking surface for them as well. My next little group of chicks will be here in a couple months and I will use that grit paper again-it was awesome!
As far as your grit question, I hope other people respond, because I have always wondered if everyone uses grit, and if they do, what kind or size. My farmer neighbor says to just grab a handful of gravel off the side of the road every now and then and toss it in there...
smile.png
(hmmmmmm, I wonder if sand would work......this is my first experience with any kind of birds, so don't laugh at me if that sounds really stupid!)

I toss grit into the run but I too have wondered. The Delightful Dozen have total access to soil of a few different types in the yard when they have th Chicken Hour (3 - 4 hours loose in the yard). And I wonder if I really need to supplement grit. When I go to get grit they only have a combo grit with a smattering of oyter shell mixed in. But then again, the grit I offer dissappears in just a little while. So, good question, I will check back for answers too!

Quote:
I'm the stupid one. I can't believe I paid that.

Thanks for your input. It never occurred to me to look at Walmart for grit paper. My mom hatched chicks every year for her first grade classroom and she offered sand. When I asked her about it she said she was just guessing.

I don't give my 3 month old pullets any grit, they free range and have access to sand, dirt, or whatever they want to use for grit. When they were in their brooders, I put in a small sprinkle of grit in their food, 2 cups lasted until they left the brooder, then again I only have 2 chickens
smile.png

Quote:
The oyster shell for my hens sits there for forever. I still have a huge bag. I'm wondering though if it's just obvious that it's there because it's white whereas the grit blends in.

I bought some grit too and it seemed so huge. So I bought the stuff for parakeets from the grocery store, more or less sand it looks like. I just sprinkled a little in their food. But I was wondering too, I dont know how much or how often I should give it, my run isnt done just yet so they havent been outside.

Unless someone comes up with a better/cheaper source of grit, I'm going to put a thick layer of paver sand on my run when I build it in a couple of weeks unless someone knows of some reason why I shouldn't. If the hens can't find "grit" in that, tough, because I'm not paying TS's outrageous price for a small bag of granite sand.

I asked at our Agway yesterday and I got a couple of very firm repsonses. One woman takes her eggshells, crushes them and sends them on back into the run = Grit AND Calcium in one shot. The Agway salesperson said no need to by granite, she uses oyster shells on occasion and feels confident that her hens are getting enough via the ground, and the occasional handful (as that farmer mentioned) of gravel/sand from the road was perfect.

But overall the consensus was - no need to spend crazy money on rocks! Sounds good to me....

I don't buy grit either. All the local farmers just use the gravel/dirt in the driveway. My chickens aren't free range yet. There was alot of dirt/gravel and whatever that accumulated on the concrete over the years where the run is now.

My guineas pick up grit as they free range.

My mom, MIL and I save our egg shells. I crush them and give them back to the chickens & guineas. Even the store bought ones, since mine arent old enough to lay yet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom