Grit substitute?

I'm getting some conflicting information on sand. Should I just go around and try to find a bunch of tiny rocks? Grit is going to be ordered tomorrow.
If you can find pieces of rock big enough to be used (preferably granite. not limestone, don’t use limestone), then I would use it but make sure they weren’t sprayed with chemicals or anything. The bigger pieces of sand by rivers and streams might work, if you could find that near you.

If you can, I would free range the birds during this period just so they could find their own grit, but you still would have to give treats on the softer side, since they aren’t too good at finding their own grit some of the time, but it would be a solution.

If you can find pieces of rock big enough to be used (preferably granite. not limestone, don’t use limestone), then I would use it but make sure they weren’t sprayed with chemicals or anything. The bigger pieces of sand by rivers and streams might work, if you could find that near you.

If you can, I would free range the birds during this period just so they could find their own grit, but you still would have to give treats on the softer side, since they aren’t too good at finding their own grit some of the time, but it would be a solution.
I unfortunately can't free range my birds, as I do not have them fully trained to come back, they would probably escape over a fence, and I don't think that we've had them long enough for them to know their home. There are a few streams near us, and we have quite a bit of gritty stuff in our yard that I could probably gather. How do I know what kind of rock it is?

I unfortunately can't free range my birds, as I do not have them fully trained to come back, they would probably escape over a fence, and I don't think that we've had them long enough for them to know their home. There are a few streams near us, and we have quite a bit of gritty stuff in our yard that I could probably gather. How do I know what kind of rock it is?
Hmm. I think granite has a different, harder texture to it then other rocks, but I’m no geologist. Maybe a quick google search would tell, but I don’t know.

Yes. I searched for grit substitute and sand grit, and got conflicting results. That's why I made a thread.
Do you understand that if you feed your birds only a commercially made chicken feed they DON'T need grit?

Do you understand that if you feed your birds only a commercially made chicken feed they DON'T need grit?
@black_cat Said that sometimes stuff gets into their chicken run that the girls eat, so they wouldn’t just be eating chicken feed. It’s always good to have grit anyways, since chickens will also eat feathers on the ground for extra protein, and they need grit for those.

Yes. I will stop feeding any treats while we don't have grit. I am asking for a substitute because I am A) Worried that they have not been getting enough in the past few days, so would like to have it available for them to help fill in that gap, and B) Worried that there is other stuff may get into their run, like leaves and bugs and feathers, that they could eat and need grit for.

Yes. I will stop feeding any treats while we don't have grit. I am asking for a substitute because I am A) Worried that they have not been getting enough in the past few days, so would like to have it available for them to help fill in that gap, and B) Worried that there is other stuff may get into their run, like leaves and bugs and feathers, that they could eat and need grit for.
You're going over the top on the grit issue here. BAGGED CHICKEN FEED HAS GRIT IN IT. Now please stop worrying, there is nothing to stress over and continually ask questions about. This is a non-issue

Back
Top Bottom