Grit substitute?

Pics
Okay, some people here aren’t understanding the difference between soluble grit and insoluble grit, so I’ll try and explain it the best I can here.

Soluble Grit:
-oyster shells, eggshells, limestone, etc.
Used for calcium supplements in poultry.

Insoluble Grit:
-small rocks, normally granite.
Used in the gizzard to help digest food. Works like teeth for the bird.

I've never seen grit in any of the feeds I've tried.

My adult chickens pick up grit maybe once a month, if that. Obviously they're not dead yet. Not having grit for a few days won't hurt a thing. They accumulate it in their gizzards for grinding down feed, but it can take weeks or maybe months for a piece of grit to wear down enough to get "kicked out."

Yes. I will stop feeding any treats while we don't have grit. I am asking for a substitute because I am A) Worried that they have not been getting enough in the past few days, so would like to have it available for them to help fill in that gap, and B) Worried that there is other stuff may get into their run, like leaves and bugs and feathers, that they could eat and need grit for.
You're going over the top on the grit issue here. BAGGED CHICKEN FEED HAS GRIT IN IT. Now please stop worrying, there is nothing to stress over and continually ask questions about. This is a non-issue

Here is my evidence against there being grit in chicken feed:

Here is me trying to fit a rock on the smaller side into the ‘pellet’. As you can see, it would be pretty obvious if it was in it.

You don't even have to go that far. With a whole grain mash, it's very obvious what's in there and what's not. With pellets or crumble, just dissolve it in some water to see what's in there and what's not, as they quickly dissolve into mush.

Simple answer is I'm sure there's brands of feed out there that might include grit, but certainly not all brands include it.

Back
Top Bottom