Grit substitute?

@black_cat what feed do you feed them? I would be suspicious of there being grit in all bagged chicken feed, as even if there was it probably wouldn’t be big enough to be used by the birds.
I feed Dumor 16% layer feed. This is the first I've heard about grit being in feed. I didn't start this thread with the intent of arguing with people or starting drama. Sorry about that.

I feed Dumor 16% layer feed. This is the first I've heard about grit being in feed. I didn't start this thread with the intent of arguing with people or starting drama. Sorry about that.
I’ve had a couple threads become argumentative, it happens to the worst, and best of us.

I searched up the ingredients online, and it doesn’t say there is grit in it. Grit large enough to be a use to chickens would be quite noticeable.

I’ve had a couple threads become argumentative, it happens to the worst, and best of us.

I searched up the ingredients online, and it doesn’t say there is grit in it. Grit large enough to be a use to chickens would be quite noticeable.
I think that I'll just harvest some small pebbles/stones from the yard for peace of mind. I haven't noticed any grit in the feed, which is why I was surprised that it could be there.

I think that I'll just harvest some small pebbles/stones from the yard for peace of mind. I haven't noticed any grit in the feed, which is why I was surprised that it could be there.
Im a bit doubtful there is actually grit in chicken feed, but it’s actually not the first time I’ve heard of it. I can buy grit at tractor supply for pretty cheap because everyone thinks chicken feed already has it. And quality stuff too, not just the cheap stuff you can get off of Amazon.

That sounds like a good plan. Realistically, there is a small chance of your chickens getting an issue that could’ve been solved with grit if they didn’t have access to it, as good grit can last in the gizzard for up to 3 ish weeks, but if you don’t have anything to give them you can bet they would get every impaction possible.

I thought that eggshells were a substitute for oyster shell? Wouldn't they dissolve too soon to be used as grit? I have plenty of oyster shell, I am just out of grit.
You are correct.
Grit, In US terms, is the small rocks that you feed birds so they can digest food.
Grit, in some other places terms, can be used to describe both calcium supplements and insoluble grit, rocks.

I've never seen grit in any of the feeds I've tried.

My adult chickens pick up grit maybe once a month, if that. Obviously they're not dead yet. Not having grit for a few days won't hurt a thing. They accumulate it in their gizzards for grinding down feed, but it can take weeks or maybe months for a piece of grit to wear down enough to get "kicked out."

Back
Top Bottom