1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit with charcoal added?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PacsMan, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PacsMan

PacsMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    Hi, I bought some grit for my 7 week old chicks today. I expected white. It's a rust color. It says it's pigeon grit, with charcoal added.

Is this stuff ok for my chicks?

Marty

2. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I dunno, was your chicken wearing this before you gave him the pigeon grit¿ ------> [​IMG]

Really, I dont know about the charcoal

3. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
  4. zewei

zewei New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    Salem, OR, USA
    I have a box of left over Bird Gravel w/ charcoal & oyster shells for all types of hard billed birds. According to the box "charcoal" aids in digestive process, "Oyster shells" insure sturdy bone growth.
    I have been sprinkle a little of this grits on the chicken feed for my 2 week old chicks for about a week now, and seams to have no ill effects. I would like to know if anybody think this is bad idea.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    100 years ago, the poultry scientists considered charcoal nearly essential in the chicken's daily rations.

I believe it was thought important for the same reason that charcoal is often given to dogs - an aid to digestion, as zewei says.

Why charcoal isn't included in modern feed formulas, I have no real idea. Maybe something else takes its place. But, I haven't heard of anything dangerous about chickens being able to eat it by their choice.

Steve

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens ate wood charcoal given the choice - I put some wood ashes in their coop over the winter for dust bathing.

Turns their poops black, don't be alarmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by