Grit with charcoal added?

PacsMan

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Salt Lake Valley
Hi, I bought some grit for my 7 week old chicks today. I expected white. It's a rust color. It says it's pigeon grit, with charcoal added.

Is this stuff ok for my chicks?

Marty

Quote:
I dunno, was your chicken wearing this before you gave him the pigeon grit¿ ------>
22639.jpg

Really, I dont know about the charcoal

I have a box of left over Bird Gravel w/ charcoal & oyster shells for all types of hard billed birds. According to the box "charcoal" aids in digestive process, "Oyster shells" insure sturdy bone growth.
I have been sprinkle a little of this grits on the chicken feed for my 2 week old chicks for about a week now, and seams to have no ill effects. I would like to know if anybody think this is bad idea.

100 years ago, the poultry scientists considered charcoal nearly essential in the chicken's daily rations.

I believe it was thought important for the same reason that charcoal is often given to dogs - an aid to digestion, as zewei says.

Why charcoal isn't included in modern feed formulas, I have no real idea. Maybe something else takes its place. But, I haven't heard of anything dangerous about chickens being able to eat it by their choice.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom