grit

polla

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, most of you seem to be in the States, i'm in Ontario, Canada, so a little cooler than some of your areas...
Getting ready to raise chickens for the first time on my on. Been readying a lot about it, and getting supplies, finishing the coop, et., but one thing that seems to be very important is GRIT and can't find it anywhere -on line sites don't ship it to Canada:confused:- so I don't know how to go about it...any suggestions on what I could substitute it with ?? :caf thanks!;)

byc1-chicken-yard.gif

Where do you plan to get your chicks? Usually feed or farm supply stores will have a large assortment of different breeds in the spring. They should also have some different kinds of grit there, too, either in small bags or in bulk sold by weight. @Pork Pie has given you the best links for great information!

Good luck in your future chicken adventure!!

Hi, most of you seem to be in the States, i'm in Ontario, Canada, so a little cooler than some of your areas...
Getting ready to raise chickens for the first time on my on. Been readying a lot about it, and getting supplies, finishing the coop, et., but one thing that seems to be very important is GRIT and can't find it anywhere -on line sites don't ship it to Canada:confused:- so I don't know how to go about it...any suggestions on what I could substitute it with ?? :caf thanks!;)
You can buy grit on Amazon or does it not ship to Canada?

Bonjour :frow and welcome :welcome

I imagine you have lots of challenges with your chickens in your climate - very exciting journey ahead of you! I'm sure you must be able to get it somewhere - have you tried local farm type stores or even pet stores? It is pretty heavy (it is small bits of rock basically - so as someone else mentioned you may not need it if free ranging) so if you can find it locally that would be better for you.

Back
Top Bottom