grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wally, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    good morning everyone,
    I have a question. What do you use for grit. My birds are in a 50x50 ft. run and no acsses to any small rocks or stuff for grit. What do y'all do?

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    If they have access to ground, they have access to grit, they'll dig for it. You can also buy grit at feed stores basically, crushed granite. or use play sand depending on their age. Young chicks use play sand and older ones the crushed granite.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    With chicken being confined in runs, usually the grits will be all gone or none in the soil. I feed them grits whenever there is a lot of bread to be given to the girls......

Make sure its granite or any hard stones..not sure of gravel road rocks but surely they must be lime or clay.

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I put oyster shell out free choice, but they ignore it. I have sandy soil, so when they forage, I think they get enough grit - also when they come by and visit me out in the yard, their beaks and nostrils are full of sand and dirt, obviously they are getting grit. So I don't worry.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:My poor debeaked Clarisse had a schnoot full of dirt today, Yea! She's having some fun!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by