Grit

ikatiemay

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Eden Utah
My local feed store only sells a very small bag of crushed granite for ten bucks. I got a 20 lb bag of pea gravel from home depot and it has different sizes if small pebbles. I cant tell if they use much of it but do you think im in the right track? The crushed granite felt like it was about the same size as some of the gravel. The packaging of course was so I couldnt see the product to tell. Ten bucks seems like a rip off for a 1 lb bag! I have the gravel in a PVC feeder in the coop, and oyster shell in another one next to it.

Do they free range? If so, they can probably find enough grit on their own. If they don't free range, do you feed a lot of treats? The reason I ask is that if they are fed only chicken feed, they don't need grit as they can process that without it. So - if they are fed only commercial feed and are not free-ranged, I can believe they wouldn't be going through much grit - they only use that when they need it. If the gravel is really about the same size as the oyster shell, it is probably okay to use it - that's the kind of thing they tend to find on their own when they're free-ranging anyway.

Yes what you bought is fine. I use a sand small gravel mix.
Even if you only feed chicken food grit will help digest it better. An example. A guy I know raises meat birds. The 1st year no grit. Butcher told him to use grit= bigger birds. 2nd yr to present he uses grit. He had bigger birds the second yr.

They cant free range now we have 3 ft of snow on the ground. they get scratch almost daily to give them something to do while cooped up. I also give them a head of cabbage or lettuce usually once a week. I give them other scraps like rice, and potatoe leftovers once in a while. They will be so glad when spring comes as will I!! I fell on the ice and broke my foot Dec 26th and will be in this awful boot 3 more weeks. I have gotten VERY creative getting down to the coop to visit the girls. I have 2 season ski passes and havent gone once. My DH is glad to tell me how nice the snow is though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Question: If they have layer crumble or layer pellets, will that affect how much grit they need? I assume since the constitution of pellets is more compact then they would have a harder time digesting it. Thoughts?

On this, my only info is from other BYC members who say if they are eating a commercial feed they don't need grit. Mine free range so mostly find their own grit, I think, but I offer it anyway just in case. I think I would even if they were always cooped up.

That's very interesting about the commercial feed.

I just had a hen die of sour crop, so I'm wondering if I should switch back to crumble. They are free range and they have a sand bath in the coop which they eat. They don't get many treats, just a scoop of scratch with oyster shells (they also have a dish of oyster shells that they never touch) every day.

Back
Top Bottom