Grit?

happyf33tz

Hatching
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Hi everyone,

Completely new here, so my apologies if this thread was placed in the incorrect area.

I just purchased 2 male indian runners (fawn and white) as pets in my backyard. I bought the starter kit and got extra food and a book on how to raise ducks. These are my first pet ducks, so I have done reasearch, but don't fully understand what grit is? How does it work? When they are ducklings what kind do you give them? Where do you buy it? When they are able to live outside do you give them a different kind of grit?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I opted no to give grit to mine for the simple reason I brooded groups of 6 or more and it was one more thing to clean but, grit can really be beneficial in aiding with choking since ducks will choke without water. You can buy at Tsc or your local farm store ask worker what grit is best for ducks. I do believe it can be given from the start but don't take my word on that. Best of luck with your guys ducks are a lot of fun and take piles of pics they grow very fast.

If you going to feed ducklings much beyond their staple feed they need the grit. I offer my 3wk old calls grit and to be honest i have it out for the Muscovy despite the fact they free range acres, just gives them an easy spot to ensure they get and can find what they need.

I'd have a look at this link on caring/raising of ducklings!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Congrats on the new additions!
welcome-byc.gif

When are they allowed to be outside? Can they go out on grass when i first receive them if i am supervising them? Or can they not go out under any circumstance?

How old are they? Depending on your temps. A little outside time would be good but if their ducklings they are extremely vulnerable to predators like cats, dogs,and hawks are just a few preds to really watch out for. I started mine out if it was a nice day for 10- 15 min out then returned to brooder. Later as their time out grew longer a built a little play pen out of chick wire with a top for hawk protection. The play pen was not pred proof but it contained them for a bit while they explored. I would not let ducklings out unsupervised at any age anything can happen in a split second plus ducklings can get into some sticky situations fast. Hot sun, wind, or rain would not be good. So shady area if its hot but outings are very beneficial for them.

Okay so be very cautious then when they are outside, got it. I purchased Manna Pro Non-Medicated Chick Starter (18% Protein), is this appropriate for them to eat until they are 4 weeks old? I read that you only have to give them grit if you feed them non commercial feed food. I bought GroGel Plus B, is this considered non commercial food?

Sorry for so many questions, I am just wanting to play everything as safe as possible.

Back
Top Bottom