Grits v. Oyster shell

Tawanda84

Chirping
Sep 26, 2020
Hi, i have 4 fabulous red-sex links, who are 4 months old. I just switched from grit to oyster shell and am wondering if I was right to do that.

I personally wouldn't start offering oyster shell until they have laid their first egg/s.

Why not? It's common to leave it available for mixed flocks, and just trust that roostrs and young ones won't eat enough to hurt themselves. If chickens can be trusted to eat the right amount of oyster shell in a mixed flock, I don't see why it would be any different in a single-age, single-gender flock.

Why not? It's common to leave it available for mixed flocks, and just trust that roostrs and young ones won't eat enough to hurt themselves. If chickens can be trusted to eat the right amount of oyster shell in a mixed flock, I don't see why it would be any different in a single-age, single-gender flock.
I guess I've always been taught to keep excess calcium sources away from non-laying birds due to the organ damage it can cause. I get your point though, the only caveat I could see is if they are in a restricted run with nothing to forage they might be tempted to eat it out of boredom before their bodies truly need it???

Grit is pulverized stone, often granite, that birds need to grind food in their gizzard. They eat it, and then it stays around in the gizzard until it’s worn down and passes through. Every chicken needs it, tho oftentimes birds with access to earth will pick up enough without being given any supplementally. But it’s relatively inexpensive and a bag will last you a long time. Set out a bowl of it and they will take what they need when they need it.

Oyster shell is a calcium source for hens of laying age. When offered as free choice, they take what they need when they need it. Your birds will be laying soon; I don’t think it’s harmful to have it there for when they get interested. Down the road if you purchase layer feed the oyster shell would be unnecessary, as what makes layer feed is added calcium.

Another source of calcium that might save you some money is finely crushed eggshells. Just rinse and let them dry, and save them til you have a good bit, and crush them into tiny pieces.

I guess I've always been taught to keep excess calcium sources away from non-laying birds due to the organ damage it can cause. I get your point though, the only caveat I could see is if they are in a restricted run with nothing to forage they might be tempted to eat it out of boredom before their bodies truly need it???

If they're that bored then they need more entertainment in the run. :hmm

I haven't had issues with chicks eating oyster shell even though it's always just sitting there. Maybe because they've seen it and had access to it from the start that it's not interesting to them? They'll copy the adults and taste test it but don't eat more than a piece or two.

Hi, i have 4 fabulous red-sex links, who are 4 months old. I just switched from grit to oyster shell and am wondering if I was right to do that.
I keep both available.
20200827_090053_resized.jpg
20200718_080326_resized_1_kindlephoto-3491229.jpg

That way they won't substitute shells when they're looking for grit.
I have different ages in separate coops,
20200920_104229_resized.jpg
otherwise grit and shells would always be available for the layers and non-layers. GC

Attachments

• 20200827_090053_resized.jpg
    20200827_090053_resized.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom