GRITSAR'S Rooster Reform System Works!!!

skyfires

Trying to hide
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
The Ozarks of Arkansas
I too have a troubled rooster,,,and tried her system. It is working!!! Spoiled Rooster is giving me respect,,,and the hens too!!! I still have the 'holding pen' on stand by,,,just in case,,,but I had to try something. So if your having a problem with yours,,, this is helping,,,thank you girtsars,,,,
D.gif
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to try that with my Ameraucana rooster (who has been Rooster #2 but seems to be threatening Rooster#1). Rooster #1 went through a period of dropping his wing to us when we entered the coop or yard, but we did something similar with holding him until he calmed down, and now he is much more respectful.

Skyfires, so glad it's working for you!
big_smile.png
Don't forget the "gentle reminders" to the roo after he's reformed.
People tend to get all uptight when you talk about keeping the troubled roo from doing his job (mating). I know for a fact that my alpha mates at least 20 times a day. His subordinate? Maybe once and he usually gets that interrupted by the alpha.
wink.png

Mating interruption dissenter here. I never expected it to become necessary, but I have actually been disrupting my roo's mating lately, but only with one girl in particular. His favourite hen and mine has developed a limp. I don't know if he's responsible for the original injury, but jumping on her tiny back does not improve matters. Yesterday, he decided he was tired of being bullied and tried to fight back.
lau.gif
He spent the night and most of the morning in the nursery hut. He could see his girls, he could hear his girls, he could watch me handle and feed his girls. When I finally let him out, he backed off quick and I've had no problems since. I haven't seen him try to mate my dear girl today, but rest assured I will be sticking my boot into that situation should it arise. If he doesn't like it he'll be sent back to Coventry.

Roosters have been a real learning experience for me, and a humbling one. A few short months ago, I would have chortled if you told me I'd be cuffing an animal in head, or pushing it with my boot. I thought any animal would be agreeable were it treated with affection its whole life. Nope! Roosters have their own code and they don't really care if you're sweet and patient and gentle. I left my high-falutin' ethics in the dirt the first time the little monster bit me.

Last edited:
kinnip, Thor my subordinate has a favorite hen that also happens to be my favorite. I think he goes after her because she has a tendency to wander away from the flock and the alpha roo. So the alpha keeps him from mating with the other hens and I keep him from mating Lil'Bit. Poor guy just can't win.
gig.gif

Great observations Gritsar... by knocking Zeus off of the hens, you were establishing yourself as head roo, and bumping him down to mere subordinate, like Thor.
clap.gif
genius!

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be pushin him around too,,,just to get my point across. I also have a holding pen in sight and set up, to fling him in if he crosses my line. He is so much better with me,, but now he seems to be picking on my girls more. I'll give him a day or two more,,,then in he goes!!! Thank you all for your help,,, gritsar is wonderful !!!!
D.gif
D.gif
wee.gif
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Is there a purpose for two roos in with one flock? Assuming there are enough birds, etc.

Just wondering... am about to give up the head roo and not sure what that will bring about in the gentle #2...

Quote:
Not any purpose, per se. I just like roos. I ordered two, got five. My original order was for a buff brahma roo and a light. I didn't like the personality of the buff when they were young - he was very skittish - so I kept a dark I liked better. In my flock it turned out fine, because Zeus is a good roo for taking care of the girls, but he's not much on watching out for predators. Thor is great for that.
Hard to tell what will happen if you give up the alpha. Your #2 may remain unchanged or he may become more roo-ish. Thor is very intimidated by Zeus. I didn't think he was ever going to crow. He finally did and does, but rarely when Zeus is around.

Back
Top Bottom