GRITSAR'S Rooster Reform System Works!!!

This is so interesting.

Only a year ago I got involved with chickens, after raising 2 royal palm turkey babies. I just couldn't help myself. My sister in law had bantam cochin babies hatch out , and I picked out 6.
2 of them turned out to be roos. At about 4 1/2 mos old, I sold one of the roos and kept LeBoeuf (named for Glenn Cambells character in True Grit) When he started challenging me, my sister (who is very chicken experienced)told me to pick him up and hold him upside down until he stops struggling, then place him back on the ground. It only took about 5-6 "challenges" and a couple of raps on the beak for him get it.

Now, when he decided he was old enough to mate, he was really raping my sultan bantam. It seemed like she was the only one he would ever go after. She would literally fly to arms for protection. I did the trick of knocking him off of her, every time. He cooled his heels with all the girls when I was outside and in sight of him.
Now that the girls are older, they are more receptive of him, and don't put up such a big fight. He really gets it that I'm top rooster in the yard.
It really does work, this is a great advice for people with roo monsters!

The only thing I've ever been afraid to do except when absolutely necessary to calm a freaked out bird is to hold a bird upside down (by the legs). Their anatomy is not like ours. Their lungs are much closer to their back. Hold them upside down for too long and their other internal organs can press against the lungs and suffocate the bird.
I'm not totally against it. I had to do it tonight as a matter of fact when one of my turkens totally freaked, but I'm real careful with it.

Last edited:
Quote:
oh my goodness, no, you don't hold them upside down so long that you kill them....it never took longer than a minute for my boy to stop freaking....30 seconds is about it.
It's just a way to let them know who's boss, it's a submissive position and they learn that they do not run your yard. The last time this happened with him was mid-march. He's been very good to me since. I hope your turken got the message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
oh my goodness, no, you don't hold them upside down so long that you kill them....it never took longer than a minute for my boy to stop freaking....30 seconds is about it.
It's just a way to let them know who's boss, it's a submissive position and they learn that they do not run your yard. The last time this happened with him was mid-march. He's been very good to me since. I hope your turken got the message.

Yeah, she freaked about being put in her new coop. Her wings got away from me and I was afraid she would hurt herself or me, so down she went. As you said, she quit within 30 seconds.
I have heard of some folks carrying them upside down around the yard, for a good length of time though. To my mind that's a dangerous thing to do, given their anatomy.

That's great news! I want a rooster someday and fully intend to use that system!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Gritsar, if you are able to count how many times your roo is mating, what else do you do all day?

Not much!
lol.png

I spend all day with my birds when I need to for my mental health.
smile.png

My adult birds have been missing me, since I've had to spend so much time dealing with the little ones.

Kat I am like you when weather is good here. Sitting out by the coop watching the chickens but i am keeping logs too for future breeding and culling.

I read some of the comments about how to get your roo to respect you and started using it on Rudy my RIR. I would walk towards him in the yard and make him give way to me (I would follow him around for a minute or two, making him move to get out of my way) and I also would stop him from mating if I was close enough. Well, as a result, Rudy has never tried to flog me or sneak up behind me. My husband told me that Rudy had tried to flog him. So, I passed on the intimidation techniques to put Rudy in his proper place, and he has left my DH alone. I was glad because Rudy is a good roo. He is past the young, "just jump on the hen" stage and has a little more finesse now, or maybe the girls just fuss less. He is real good about intervening in any hen squabbles, and he watches for predators with his keen eyes! Considering I didn't even want a rooster, I have become quite fond of ol Rudy! I like to pet him at night on the roost (only time he will let me get that close) and pick him up and feel how heavy he is! He doesn't like it, though!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom