Grossly swollen, fluid-filled waddle- rooster

Nothing wrong with trying again. It's all a learning experience.
Sometime this year, I had a Buff Orpington hen come down with what looked like bird flu, all the symptoms fit. I put her down immediately. Good news is none of my other birds got sick. I gave them a 1-2 week observation period, to watch for symptoms.
That’s amazing that the rest of the flock was okay! Do you think in the case of cholera, I still should isolate the rooster even though the rest are almost certainly exposed at this point? Sorry, I’m so new to this...

That’s amazing that the rest of the flock was okay! Do you think in the case of cholera, I still should isolate the rooster even though the rest are almost certainly exposed at this point? Sorry, I’m so new to this...
You could try it, & watch the rest of the birds for awhile.

Go buy some children's Benedryl and give him the dose I told you to. If this is an allergic reaction, you will see results very quickly, and all your worries will be over.

Did you look at the bird flu map I linked to to see if you're in a county where it's active?

How is the rooster acting? Is he lethargic, or is he eating and drinking? Does he seem to be in pain? Any secretions from the nose or beak? Swollen wattles and the bluish color could be a tick bite or bruising from a bump or peck.

I would explore the more common possible causes first. Swollen wattles can also be from some respiratory infections (coryza or fowl cholera,) frostbite, trauma, and fighting.

Go buy some children's Benedryl and give him the dose I told you to. If this is an allergic reaction, you will see results very quickly, and all your worries will be over.

Did you look at the bird flu map I linked to to see if you're in a county where it's active?
I did check the map and there are no reports of avian flu in my state since last Spring.

He is moving more slowly today, rather lethargic. More swollen than yesterday.

I gave him the benedryl an hour ago, so will be anxiously waiting to see if there’s any improvement. I think his beak is open just from the sheer weight of his waddles.

It finally occurred to me that he probably can’t eat very well with those huge waddles and fluid around his throat. So I held some food up to his face and he was eager to eat.

I’ll post a photo of his mouth- I don’t see mucus per se, but maybe some dried stuff (maybe because he can’t close his mouth).

So far I haven’t been able to locate a vet who treats poultry in my rural area :/

Attachments

• 51115335-E63D-4C0C-BB4C-927C646F0ECC.jpeg
    51115335-E63D-4C0C-BB4C-927C646F0ECC.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 5
  • CAB45A39-DE29-45DE-861C-BC66EA44177B.jpeg
    CAB45A39-DE29-45DE-861C-BC66EA44177B.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 670DF388-A0F9-4F48-8F21-C92387F6A034.jpeg
    670DF388-A0F9-4F48-8F21-C92387F6A034.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 32087615-DC24-4EBF-8C5F-092A76BCDC5A.jpeg
    32087615-DC24-4EBF-8C5F-092A76BCDC5A.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 6
How is the rooster acting? Is he lethargic, or is he eating and drinking? Does he seem to be in pain? Any secretions from the nose or beak? Swollen wattles and the bluish color could be a tick bite or bruising from a bump or peck.

I would explore the more common possible causes first. Swollen wattles can also be from some respiratory infections (coryza or fowl cholera,) frostbite, trauma, and fighting.
He’s definitely lethargic today. No secretions that I can tell. His waddles feel hot to the touch, but his body under his wings don’t feel particularly warmer than they should.
He’s more swollen, including his other waddle and neck. I think the weight of the fluid is making his mouth hang open.
But, he was eager to eat when I held food up to his mouth. Just had some trouble swallowing...

We have a ton of ticks here, and I’ve heard there are scorpions as well. Maybe, just maybe that’s all it is!! Fingers crossed...
I gave him benedryl awhile ago and will see if it helps at all.

I posted some new photos in another reply in this thread

Back
Top Bottom